Adapted from Betrayed as Boys: Psychodynamic Treatment of Sexually Abused Men
Preconceptions abound about the sexual abuse of boys and men.
NONE OF THESE MYTHS IS SUPPORTED BY THE RESEARCH.
- Men cannot be sexually abused.
- Women do not abuse sexually.
- Sexual abuse is always overt.
- Only sissies and weaklings allow abuse.
- Children should be able to say no to abuse if violence is not used. If they don’t, they must have wanted the abuse to occur.
- If a boy feels sexual arousal, he is an equal participant in the abuse.
- Male victimizers who molest boys consider themselves homosexual and are interested sexually in other men.
- Victimizers are always conscious of the abuse they are committing.
- Sexual abuse turns a boy gay.
- Sexually abused boys almost inevitably grow up to be sexually abusive men.